- In order to describe my services, I must tell you about my therapy journey and how I got to where I am today. In working with children/adolescents as well as their families for ten years, I noticed that the patterns people carried with them were not just changing by voicing them to me. Talk therapy helped, but it did not seem to have the long term fix I wanted for my clients. I then worked in a women’s prison for five years, and realized that generations of women had the core pattern that their family had, and they too did not know how to change the vicious cycles of abuse and neglect that they had endured. I then worked in a college setting, and realized that the core patterns of powerlessness, feeling defective, and feeling controlled by “our past” was hindering students abilities to focus, sleep, eat properly, and function in such a high stress setting. Hence my need to find a more healing therapy. That is when I learned about Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing that focuses on the BRAIN. Our Brain and our body remember everything that happens to it. With that, I took the current research, multiple trainings, and realized the following about all of our brains…
- When we try to stop thinking of something emotional, we will think about it more. Stress
- When we tell ourselves to stop thinking about it, we will think about it more….. Stress
- Anxiety puts us in emotional mind/Anxiety puts us in flight or flight… Stress
- The Brain stays in what is comfortable and only does the things that are comfortable. …Stress
- The Brain can’t do things it does not know how to do… If it does not know how to ride the bike, it won’t ride the bike…… Stress
- The stress plays on an automatic schema in your brain, one that builds up, with more story’s and more emotion….
- WHICH LEADS TO MORE STRESS AND SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY
So EMDR is a type of therapy that incorporates the past/present/future thoughts and uses bilateral stimulation( eye movements left /right or tapping left /right) to heal your brain. Not only will EMDR take off that emotional charge from your bad thoughts, but you will build confidence, self worth, self-esteem, and a voice to take care of yourself. It is not Hypnosis and EMDR is NOT for everybody. Please call me with questions, I can tell you if EMDR is right for you.
I provide Individual therapy to men, women, and children over ten years old.
I do clinical supervision for clinicians seeking their license Please call for pricing.
**I also have numerous presentations that I have developed for educators, the community, and providers.
Tap out anxiety (Laurel Parnell’s book Tapping In)
The power of violence:
Passive Aggressive vs Assertive Behaviors in men and women.